Re: [ietf-smtp] Dotless domains and email

2013-07-05 22:16:19
On 7/5/2013 2:23 PM, Dave Crocker wrote:
Here's my summary of the situation:

The purpose of a summary is to summarize. Folks seem to think that a summary is supposed to be fully-detailed about history.

My conflating smtp with rfc822/5322 and ignoring rfc2822 was intentional. On the average, the world's pseudo-technical reference to email is "smtp"; hence my usage of it in the summary.

Again, as a statement about current email standards, the report is wrong. In terms of current utility of dotless domains, some significant number email software implementations will not handle it properly. None of the descriptions of that software attributed the issue to the specifications, instead citing protection against errors or other misbehavior.

d/

--
Dave Crocker
Brandenburg InternetWorking