Re: [ietf-smtp] Dotless domains and email

2013-07-08 02:50:49
On 08/07/2013 03:53, Mark Andrews wrote:
But it does hurt as it gives people that don't know any better a expectation that it will work. A lot of this debate is a direct result of tld administrators playing silly games by adding MX records. Mark
How do 'people that don't know any better' have an expectation that it will work?

If the ccTLD registries were publishing a 'support@cctld' type email address on their website, then it would, but I haven't heard anyone say that that has happened. For instance there's an MX record for 'cd', but their website uses 'support(_at_)nic(_dot_)cd', which will work fine, not support@cd, which may or may not work.

It's only uber-geeks that will even know that the MX record for 'cd' exists, and most of those will know that that's a bit weird, and may try sending mail to postmaster@cd 'just to see what happens', but they won't complain if it doesn't work, because that email address isn't published anywhere.

I'm with Russ on this that it seems like a discussion "about nothing".

Is anyone 'in the real world' complaining that support@cd doesn't always work? If so, why are they trying to send mail to that address?

I have no problem with the discussion, but it's not exactly earth-shattering...

My 'vote' would be to put a note somewhere just to say that email to dotless domains may or may not work, so it's not recommended to use them. I doubt anyone really cares more than that. A ccTLD registry isn't exactly going to complain that they have to register 'nic.cctld' since they are just registering it with themselves, and I'm sure if they thought it was an issue, it would have come up before now.

The other use case would be within a company, using '@local' or '@mycompany' - and that has neatly excluded interoperability, since it's just within a single company, so that's a matter between that company and their mail server provider.

-

Paul Smith Computer Services
Tel: 01484 855800
Vat No: GB 685 6987 53