Re: [ietf-smtp] Dotless domains and email

2013-07-10 17:34:59
On 7/8/2013 5:29 PM, Carl S. Gutekunst wrote:
FWIW

The "compose" dialogs on Microsoft Outlook 2010, Yahoo! Mail, Live.com, and Gmail do not allow dotless domains. Yahoo and Live.com reject the address as malformed; Outlook tries to look it up in the local address book; Gmail gives an error on send.

Thunderbird 2.0 to my employer's Exchange server (over SMTP) worked fine -- and then the message got rejected by the corporate firewall as "invalid domain."

<csg>

The only real place I have seen dotless domains is with dealing with NETBIOS computer names and the EHLO/HELO field.

Outlook will use the local computer NETBIOS name IFF a FQDN is not found in DNS for the EHLO/HELO field. This all goes back to ARP and the mapping with WINS. Outlook-based end users with NATs do not have problems because SMTP, although technically required to be a valid EHLO/HELO domain, historically, the EHLO/HELO can be a misconfiguration hence when its a DOTLESS field entry no validation is possible.

OTOH, Tbird will use a domain IP literal and the IP can be wrong when the private IP is used. This is a strong rule that can be used to validate the connected IP with the machine IP, but TBIRD and others behind a NAT local LAN need to be also configured to use the NAT IP or the public FQDN domain, if any. The only place I seen a problem here is with the SUBMIT protocol which requires a valid EHLO field. It needs to be relax. In our port 587 connectivity implementation the EHLO field validation is skipped because ESMTP AUTH is required anyway for SUBMIT.

Part of the problem is what SOCKET API is used. Under Windows, if you use the Windows SOCKET API, you can get the NETBIOS name when a IP lookup is made. We had to change and force across the board DNS record API lookup usage and avoid the Windows Socket API commands as much as possible.

Dotless Domains are only valid within a LAN or internal WAN, but not across the public internet. That's really the only conclusion I can see here. Perhaps whats going on is that Microsoft can turn off the NETBIOS protocol by default in the OS being install and this causes lookup problems when the machine is not fully qualify possible.

--
HLS