Re: [ietf-smtp] Dotless domains and email

2013-07-08 10:58:54
Does anyone who doesn't know better even know that these MX records exist?
The only reason why I knew about them were from similar threads in mailing
lists like this among people who do indeed know how mail works.

I knew about n@ai (still likely to be the shortest e-mail address of
all time) from chatter about the Financial Cryptography conference.
The others I know about because I was supposed to be doing something
on deadline so instead I wrote a tiny shell script that looked up MX
records for all of the TLDs.

I don't know anyone who actually uses a TLD mail address.  Mr. n@ai is
Ian Goldberg who has a normal cs.uwaterloo.ca address.

My point about MX records at TLDs is not that they're useful, but that
since they exist, we could get some actual data about how badly they
work rather than doing what we've been doing so far, making assertions
based on plausible but unsupported hunches.

R's,
John