Re: [ietf-smtp] Security considerations issues for Internet Mail - draft-moonesamy-mail-security-01

2013-07-09 13:16:06
Hi Barry,
At 10:17 09-07-2013, Barry Leiba wrote:
I honestly don't get the point of the document.  It seems scattered,
and doesn't appear to say anything that I can find useful.

I agree that the document is scattered. The document needs a lot of work before it is even in a useful state.

As an example of the scatteredness, Section 2.4 talks about social
attacks and cites Appendix B... and Appendix B is about homographs.
Now, maybe if you cited this it would relate better:
http://xkcd.com/538/

I was thinking about http://xkcd.com/1181/

Appenfix B is about homoglyphs. It is used in social engineering. A user will not notice on quick expectation that the "L" was substituted for an "i".

What's really your goal with this document?  What would you like to see it be?

The goal is to reduce the number of long discussions about email issues which cannot be fixed. I would like to have actual examples (see Appendix) so that people can at least read and maybe understand, for example, why one would not try to fix some issues.

Regards,
S. Moonesamy