Re: [ietf-smtp] BCP or similar on list validation by partial SMTP session

2013-09-30 12:25:23
On Tue, Sep 24, 2013 at 5:59 PM, John Levine <johnl(_at_)taugh(_dot_)com> wrote:

Sure. What would you imagine such a document to say other than that if you
need your list to be washed, you shouldn't have ended up with such a list
in the first place?

I suppose it could endorse permission passes to try to resiscitate a
bad list.

Do you mean stuff like a monthly re-opt-in?  If not, can you explain?

Or just mail to the feeping list, and do proper bounce processing in
the first place.

"proper" bounce processing isn't always possible, but then again the whole
fake RCPT TO thing isn't infallible either.

But I agree that writing this down might be good, and I also agree that a
document that says "don't do that" isn't great; "here's how you should do
it" is better.

Might MAAWG be interested in converting their work into an Informational
RFC, or maybe an Applicability Statement?

-MSK