Re: [ietf-smtp] Per-Recipient Data Responses

2014-03-05 14:23:01
On 05/03/2014 18:20, Murray S. Kucherawy wrote:
How come this never got adoption? It comes up from time to time in "We really should do this" sorts of discussions, but it doesn't seem like anyone ever took the plunge and it just expired. Is it just that nobody does it because nobody else does it?

http://tools.ietf.org/html/draft-hall-prdr-00

Hmm, this one's a tricky one. With our mail server we've been quite careful to do things which would either accept the "whole message", or reject it all. I can see places where we could change functionality to use PRDR, but the problem is that the user would expect it to always work, not be dependent on the sending MTA. So, we would have to 'fake' PRDR, by falling back to accepting the message and generating bounce messages, which isn't nice, and will lead to backscatter.

(I suppose we could 'fake PRDR' by only allowing one recipient per message, but that has bad side-effects as well)

So, I'd be reluctant to implement it on the server-side until PRDR support was widely available, even though this is where the benefits would be.

OTOH, implementing it on the client-side should have minimal bad side-effects, but would also give minimal direct benefits, so there's little pressure to do that.

-

Paul Smith Computer Services
Tel: 01484 855800
Vat No: GB 685 6987 53