Re: [ietf-smtp] RFC2821bis discussion of DKIM and SPF (was Re: Error in RFC 5321 concerning SPF and DKIM)

2014-07-21 08:54:26
Hi John,
At 03:13 21-07-2014, John C Klensin wrote:
seven versions of the document in which the problem, however
significant or insignificant, could have been caught (my
recollection --I don't have the time to go back and check right
now-- is that it went into Last Call around -10).  The issue
wasn't caught, or at least wasn't raised.  And, if the text was,
as I think you are saying, unchanged after -03, certainly I
didn't somehow sneak it in as a private deal with the RFC Editor
after IESG approval.

I took a quick look to understand the history. The sentence was likely added following a discussion unrelated to DKIM. The context of the mail-related discussions at that time would help the reader understand what the issue was about. I think that it is better to do nothing about the sentence. I'll note that there was a pre-evaluation of RFC 5321 and the sentence was not considered as an issue.

Regards,
S. Moonesamy