[ietf-smtp] RFC2821bis discussion of DKIM and SPF (was Re: Error in RFC 5321 concerning SPF and DKIM)

2014-07-20 14:15:32
On 7/20/2014 2:43 PM, John C Klensin wrote:
FWIW, my editing notes on the pre-5321 I-Ds indicate that the
current text was not of my invention.
    I was convinced, and remain convinced
that the spec if better with pointers to DKIM and/or SPF (and,
when it is updated, to anything else that may be relevant).  I
believe the consensus when 5321 was being developed was
consistent with that conviction.

Subject duly modifed, since what follows has nothing to do with
technical substance...

The SPF/DKIM text was added to the -03 version of rfc2821bis, on 25
April 2007.

In searching the SMTP mailing list archives, I am not finding any
discussion that is on point.  A brief exchange about SPF and IPv6 and
another about DKIM basic, but nothing about this text.

And the text's dealings with DKIM differ markedly from what was
discussed on the list.

So your reference to "consensus [being] consistent with that conviction"
prompts a query to what venue and discussion you are referring to?

d/
--
Dave Crocker
Brandenburg InternetWorking