Re: [ietf-smtp] Idea: Two-Way Mail

2015-03-03 08:35:18

--On Tuesday, March 03, 2015 11:05 +0100 Arnt Gulbrandsen
<arnt(_at_)gulbrandsen(_dot_)priv(_dot_)no> wrote:

Alessandro Vesely:
Why is email spam less important?

You assume that lack of importance is the (major) cause of
inaction. But John Klensin already told you a very different
reason why he isn't going on with 5321bis: Do anything with
the core of the mail system (and spam is at the core now), and
advokids drown you in arguments. It's not that mail is
objectively unimportant or that John thinks it's unimportant,
it's that whoever writes the RFC pays a high personal price.

John wrote much more. My eyes glazed over. But I think this is
the MSB.

For that part of the issue, yes.  I would have stated it as "the
apparent value is, so far, far exceeded by that high price"
(not just personal, but to the community).   The reason I'm
keeping a running editor's update is precisely because I imagine
that ratio might change someday and want to be able to respond
quickly.

In the interim, a variation on one of Ned's comments apply:
5321bis will be strictly about corrections and clarifications,
incorporating substantive changes only if they are mature in
both practice and IETF procedures.  So, if someone wants a
changed way of doing something as part of it, write an I-D
specific to that protocol and see if it goes through the system
and deploys.