Re: [ietf-smtp] Idea: Two-Way Mail

2015-03-04 15:22:02
On Tue, Mar 03, 2015 at 10:03:13AM -0500, John C Klensin wrote:
There is one other issue, of which, IMO, we keep losing sight.
Filter-based (or similar) spam mitigation is effective at
keeping recipients from being overwhelmed by spam volume and
reasonably effective at preventing spam-enabled malware, etc.,
from being delivered.  For places with restricted or expensive
available bandwidth to delivery (or filtering) servers, it is
ineffective at reducing the impact on transport bandwidth.

I didn't mean just filters, I meant to include legislation, botnet
takedowns, outbound filtering, DNS blacklists etc. all of which do
greatly mitigate spam as a DoS attack on the global email
infrastructure. (You can add hosted spam filters to that list as a
mitigation of spam eating your bandwidth.)

Martijn.