On 02/12/2015 02:55, Ted Lemon wrote:
It's far better to train them in the reality of what they need to do to
preserve their own privacy, than the impossibility of trying to privacy-protect
everything (and still have something anybody wants to use).
This is literally impossible.   We don't demand that airline passengers take
part in making sure that the airplane is safe to fly.   Why do we expect people
with similar levels of knowledge about the operation of email to understand how
to preserve their privacy?

The thing is that whatever you do to email, the weak link is always the human. Humans are the ones who respond to Nigerian princes, they're the ones who think it's OK to send their bank password by email to anyone who asks for it in an authoritative way, etc.

So, training HAS to be done, otherwise people will lose privacy.

Of course, most people don't really care about privacy whatever they say (witness all the personal information posted to Facebook/Twitter/etc) so it doesn't matter that they can't be trained. The ones who do really care about their privacy are the ones who will train themselves if the information is available to them.