Re: [ietf-smtp] Fwd: New Version Notification for draft-fenton-smtp-require-tls-00.txt

2016-01-11 01:47:42
(off list)

John,

FWIW, my initial intuition/ reaction was very close to your
conclusion that, in practice, this was unlikely to accomplish
much.  I've wanted to push on it a little bit because, unlike
some of the folks who have been behaving as if, if they chant
"more privacy" loudly enough, real analysis and thinking about
threat models is unnecessary, I know Jim has been around long
enough and thinks clearly enough that his draft could probably
be used to push a bit on some of those issues -- including the
ones you have identified more clearly than I have, the
circumstances in which hiding the envelope reduces the amount of
information available to an eavesdropper significantly and those
in which it doesn't, etc.   I am, as predicted, finding that
discussion helpful.  I hope Jim is too.  Even more important,
I'm hoping that people with ideas much more naive than his are
paying attention.

A few comments below.

--On Monday, January 11, 2016 05:27 +0000 John Levine