Re: [ietf-smtp] Compressing SMTP streams

2016-01-30 04:05:49

On 29/01/2016 23:30, Brandon Long wrote:

I would be remiss if I didn't mention that one of my colleague's here at Google thinks this is all silly, and we should instead figure out how to not base64 encode the messages in the first place, but I think that's a higher barrier than this.

The problem is that that requires ALL mail software to support that, otherwise you need to have recoding of messages by MTAs, which is problematic (eg for DKIM). If you compress messages, then that is done on a hop-by-hop basis, and the original message is unaltered.

I know we don't support the 8BITMIME extension in our MTA because I don't want to faff around with recoding messages for a small gain, but we'd probably do a message-based compression extension (might have to think hard about whether to implement stream based compression, and would probably decide it's not worth it).