Re: [ietf-smtp] Compressing SMTP streams

2016-01-30 19:22:46
At 15:30 -0800 on 01/29/2016, Brandon Long wrote about Re: [ietf-smtp] Compressing SMTP streams:

I would be remiss if I didn't mention that one of my colleague's here at Google thinks this is all silly, and we should instead figure out how to not base64 encode the messages in the first place, but I think that's a higher barrier than this.

What purpose is served by using BASE64 beyond making the content able to travel through a 7-bit-only hop? Since most (all?) hops are now 8-bit ones, why not just send the actual 8-bit version of the data instead of converting it to the 7-bit BASE64 format?