Re: [ietf-smtp] Compressing SMTP streams

2016-01-29 15:42:48
1000 recipients at ~30 bytes each with each domain likely the same... maybe
sometimes.

Can you make any estimates of how common large recipient lists are?  My
impression is that since most bulk mail is customized per recipient, big
lists in stuff that isn't spam are rare.

If you're only compressing the data, what's the interaction with RFC 1870?
Do you use the compressed size or the original,

It has to be the original size.  If you're using a stream compressor
like deflate you can't tell what the compressed size will be unless
you make a prepass over the data.  And anyway, my impression is that
the motivation for using 1870 is still the internal storage, not the
transmission time.

And I'd think it's an alternative to BDAT, same thing, but compressed?

Same problem, client generally doesn't know the compressed size in advance.

R's,
John