Re: [ietf-smtp] [pkix] key identities, why you shouldn't even try to canonicalize local parts

2016-03-22 15:44:51
What I loved about SPKI/SDSI was the idea of namespaces and namespace chaining. "The key that Alice nicknamed 'Bob's key'" is unambiguous and implementable. Once I've named a key, a computer can track that name across multiple different identifiers effortlessly. Once I tell the computer that *this specific key* represents "Alice from the Home Office," Alice can use any address--indeed, any protocol that allows her to sign messages--and my computer can tell me it's Alice from the Home Office.

I agree, that's about the best we can hope for.  Too bad nobody does that.

Regards,