Re: [ietf-smtp] New Mailing List to discuss email canonicalization?

2016-04-15 11:06:11
I think it is not about changing RFC 5321, but being able to express
things like "this domain uses ASCII case-insensitive local-parts" or
"a(_dot_)b(_at_)gmail(_dot_)com is the same as ab(_at_)gmail(_dot_)com". These
can be expressed in
some ways in DNS, being validated using an SMTP extension by a final
delivery MTA or expressed in S/MIME certificates. (These are just 3
examples of what people were talking about recently, I express no
opinion about their suitability for the task.)

Does this clarify what kind of "canonicalization" I am talking about?

Yes.  This is a bad idea from DANE that just won't go away.

Please do NOT create such a list, no matter how much Paul W. wants
one.  If people really want to talk about it, this is the only place
that makes sense, since SMTP is the only protocol that interprets
e-mail addresses.

R's,
John

PS: In case it's not obvious, the reason they want a separate list is
to make an end run around people who understand the issues and point
out all the reasons that their ideas are known not to work.  BTDT.