Re: [ietf-smtp] New Mailing List to discuss email canonicalization?

2016-04-15 16:00:51
verify != canonicalization.  One checks existance the other doesn't.

If SMTP servers provided a canonicalization service ...

Sheesh, I'd think someone who'd been around as long as you would know
that many mail systems do not have anything like a canonical version
of an address.

My system (a heavily hacked version of qmail, which is still a
surprisingly good base for a reliable mail system) maps addresses into
delivery rules in a variety of ways, but those delivery rules look
nothing like e-mail addresses.  Some are files, some are directories,
some are scripts.

With some effort I could probably tell you whether two addresses went
to the same delivery rule, but there's no way I could say whether one
was "canonical", or if there were some other address more canonical
than either.

My objection to discussions of ways to canonicalize e-mail addresses
are pretty much the same as my objections to discussions of ways to
divide by zero.

R's,
John