Re: [ietf-smtp] New Mailing List to discuss email canonicalization?

2016-04-15 11:12:14
On 15/04/2016 16:22, Alexey Melnikov wrote:
I think it is not about changing RFC 5321, but being able to express things like "this domain uses ASCII case-insensitive local-parts" or "a(_dot_)b(_at_)gmail(_dot_)com is the same as ab(_at_)gmail(_dot_)com". These can be expressed in some ways in DNS, being validated using an SMTP extension by a final delivery MTA or expressed in S/MIME certificates. (These are just 3 examples of what people were talking about recently, I express no opinion about their suitability for the task.)

Does this clarify what kind of "canonicalization" I am talking about?

Isn't that just asking for trouble?

Either it'll be useless in real life, or it'll be the equivalent of the existing VRFY command which everyone has enabled on their SMTP server because it's never, ever, been misused </sarcasm>