Re: [ietf-smtp] SPF DNS query limits

2016-05-24 11:59:23
On 05/24/2016 01:32 AM, Paul Smith wrote:
Just as a matter of interest - wouldn't it be worth them using macros in their includes? eg 'include:%{i4r}.spf.ebay.com'. This could cut down drastically on the level of nesting.

In my experience, SPF macros are not well/reliably supported across proprietary implementations. That dates back to the earliest days of SPF, when large scale Email consumers (notably AOL, but also Postini) were concerned about the costs of doing SPF queries in real time, and instead built dedicated SPF caches that were refreshed as background tasks. These did no DNS queries on message receipt, making it impossible to support most macros. AOL clearly documented this at the time, IIRC.

(Steve Atkins would have more visibility on this than I do.)

<csg>