Re: [ietf-smtp] Address transformations and 5321 update

2016-08-01 10:35:02
Qmail does it unconditionally (and uses DNS ANY queries in the process).

Qmail's been abandonware since 1998. Everyone who still uses it has patched it extensively, and we got rid of the ANY query ages ago. I don't think it ever rewrote CNAMEs in message headers. I don't see code to do it in either qmail-inject or its slightly newer replacement new-inject.

If I were doing an update to 5321 my non-negotiable preconditions would be that changes are only allowed to describe existing practice in non-trivial amounts of mail, that it obsoletes every previous definitions of SMTP, and that it's published as a full standard. Once we spend a year agreeing to that, the rest is easy.

Regards,