Re: [ietf-smtp] Address transformations

2016-08-01 17:11:12

On Aug 1, 2016, at 6:08 AM, John C Klensin <john-ietf(_at_)jck(_dot_)com>
wrote:

--On Sunday, July 31, 2016 19:25 -0700 Sean Leonard
<dev+ietf(_at_)seantek(_dot_)com> wrote:

(RFC 5321)
All this stuff brings up a very interesting point about
deliverable email addresses in draft-seantek-mail-regexen:

What are the domain part limitations on deliverable email
addresses, that are not encapsulated by the RFC 5321 ABNF?
The string "1.2.3.4" is a valid domain production.
However, it is not (or *should not*) be considered a
deliverable email address, because when passed to the famous
function "gethostbyname", that function will certainly
return 1.2.3.4; it will not perform a lookup of the domain
record with a top-level label of "4".

The "fame" of gethostbyname doesn't make it a standard or any
type.  In fact, it has been widely suggested on IETF and other
lists that it is broken.

Actually, getaddrinfo (the successor to gethostbyname) *is* in the POSIX
standard: IEEE Std 1003.1, 2013 Edition.
<http://pubs.opengroup.org/onlinepubs/9699919799/> And it does specifically
call out support for IPv4 and IPv6 address literals.

That being said, I do not wish to devolve into a standards-baiting discussion
about that API call. I am interested however how mail systems actually
implement the parsing of the domain production. If you give any number of
popular, widely implemented SMTP servers RCPT TO:<foo@11.22.33.44>, will it
query DNS for “11.22.33.44”, or will it attempt to contact the server at the
IPv4 address 11.22.33.44 ? Implementers can answer this question...

I have tried "foo@1.2.3.256" -- Windows and Unix/Linux
stacks will try to query the DNS for that string and not parse
it as IPv4. So, it is syntactically a valid, deliverable email
address.

It is syntactically a valid email address.  It is unlikely to be
deliverable.  And what Windows and Unix/Linux do is not
sufficient to justify "So".

But foo@411 will get IPv4-parsed to 0.0.1.155, which
means that "411" should not be considered a valid domain
name for a deliverable email address.

Actually, if foo@411 is treated as containing an address
literal, rather than a domain name, that is an error
(independent of what were done with the address literal once
that determination was made.  It is, of course, not a valid
domain name either, and that is independent of whether it is
invalid because it is all digits, because it is numeric and at
the root, or simply because it is not a label that appears in
the root zone.  Of course, it could also be a local name that
should really be interpreted as foo@411.local,
foo(_at_)411(_dot_)example(_dot_)com, etc., depending on local configuration
setup in, e.g., the submission server.

Ok. However, Section 2.3.5 of RFC 5321 says:
   The domain name, as described in this document and in RFC 1035 [2],
   is the entire, fully-qualified name (often referred to as an "FQDN").
   A domain name that is not in FQDN form is no more than a local alias.
   Local aliases MUST NOT appear in any SMTP transaction.

The ABNF of RFC 5321 shows that you cannot have a single bare label
with a trailing dot. It seems to me that a single bare label
indicates that the item has to be a FQDN, and never a local alias;
therefore, it must not be all-numeric.

More generally, it seems to me that, if you take the questions
up a level, the either the answers to your several questions
become either clear or the questions are trivial.

First, my recollection is that there was a strong belief when
RFC 821 was written that the distinction between "address
literal" and "domain" in the domain part was to be made by
obvious, no-lookahead, syntax, not by either heuristics or "is
this a number" tests.  So, as far as SMTP is concerned,
foo@[1.2.3.4] is a mailbox containing an address literal while
foo@1.2.3.4 is a mailbox containing a domain.  I/we carried the
view forward when we had to deal with IPv6 addresses.  That led
to the decision to explicitly designate the address family
associated with an address literal rather than leaving it to
heuristics on, e.g., what syntax is used in the address.
Whether something that SMTP identifies lexically as an address
literal is valid or not (and whether a particular SMTP client or
server knows what to do with it) is largely not an SMTP problem.
Similarly, whether something that SMTP lexically identifies as a
domain is valid (or can ever be valid) is another question and
not really an SMTP issue except that...

      (i)  There is a long history of SMTP (and other email)
      clients (including submission servers) trying to do
      sanity checks on putative domain names.  Some of that
      history is rooted in systems that were not directly
      connected to the Internet, and hence unable to do DNS
      lookups themselves, wanting to eliminate (reject,
      bounce, or, in the case of submission servers and
      gateways, fix) messages with bogus mailbox addresses as
      early in the transmission processes as possible.  At one
      time, it was very common for SMTP clients (and even some
      MUAs) to have lists of valid TLD labels or valid TLD
      labels of other than two characters in length and/or for
      them to "know" that there was only one four-letter TLD
      label and no TLD label longer than four characters long.
      Some of those tests became much more fragile when ICANN
      started introducing gTLDs at a relatively high rate
      including many with labels other than three characters
      in length and were further complicated by IDN TLDs and
      are usually considered poor practices, especially for
      hosts directly connected to the Internet, today.

      (ii) RFC 1123 (in a section not affected by the
      "replacing the mail transport..." comment in 5321) says
      that TLD names must be alphabetic.  At least so far and
      with the exception for the form of IDNA labels, ICANN
      has not violated that rule.  So, 1.2.3.123 is still
      clearly invalid as a domain name.

Ok, I found the text: Section 2.1 of RFC 1123. Thanks.

This can be implemented by checking that the final sub-domain is not
all-numeric:

((?&sub_domain)\.)+(?![0-9]+[^\-A-Za-z])(?&sub_domain)

This will permit the following:

foo@1.2.3.0xe

which getaddrinfo will consume as an IPv4 address literal.
However, as long as we at the IETF are okay with that (or don’t care),
then we are all good.

In both of the above cases, the issues are DNS ones, or ones in
the interface between an SMTP system and the DNS, not SMTP
issues.

Yes. The patterns for *deliverable* email addresses
are intended to incorporate DNS rules. Generic email addresses
(RFC 5322) do not need to be deliverable; therefore, they
do not necessarily need to incorporate DNS rules.

There is probably a way to express the “last sub-domain cannot be all-numeric”
in ABNF,
and therefore, to translate that to an integrated regular expression (as
opposed to a regular expression with a negative-lookahead). I am not sure if it
would be more efficient.

I think it would be:

Domain = *(sub-domain ".") final-sub-domain

sub-domain     = Let-dig [Ldh-str]

AH = ALPHA / "-"

final-sub-domain = ALPHA [Ldh-str] /
             DIGIT *(ALPHA / DIGIT / "-") ALPHA /
             DIGIT 1*(*DIGIT AH *DIGIT) DIGIT

Second, coming back to address literals, if SMTP identifies
something as an address literal (i.e., the string "@[" appears)
then, while syntax is given in 5321 for IPv4 address literals,
all of the others (present and future) are ultimately
  Tag ":" String

For IPv6, the Tag is "IPv6" and the string specified by
standards for presentation forms of IPv6 addresses, not SMTP.
For anything else, the Tag is required to be standardized and
that standard or the related one is expected to specify the
syntax of the String (but there are few character restrictions
on it).    It was, and is, quite intentional that, if some set
of systems, by prior agreement, invented the "foozy" address
format and associated protocols but did not standardize it
through the IETF,

   usermailbox@[Foozy:666]
could work perfectly well within their collective environment
without causing interoperability problems with
standards-conforming systems.

I want to be sure about this. If someone enters an email address of

user@[23.34.45.56]

into an input field (e.g., web browser or mail client) that *purports to accept
all deliverable email addresses*, shall it be accepted as valid input, or not?

Section 2.3.4 of RFC 5321 says:
   Hosts are known by names
   (see the next section); they SHOULD NOT be identified by numerical
   addresses, i.e., by address literals as described in Section 4.1.2.

Well that is is a SHOULD NOT, not a MUST NOT. I just want to be sure that we
are collectively sure that an input field that *purports to accept all
deliverable email addresses*, *needs* to accept address-literal syntax.

If the answer is yes, it needs to accept address-literal syntax, shall the
input field accept General-address-literal? Shall it accept
IPv6-address-literal (which, by the way, will always get matched as
General-address-literal, and therefore, is superfluous if we permit
General-address-literal)?

My current position is that if address-literal syntax is needed, it should only
accept IPv4 and IPv6 syntaxes; general address literals are not “deliverable”
using the modern Internet & SMTP infrastructure. If a new address literal
becomes globally routable on the public Internet and is standardized by the
IETF, then the regular expression should be updated (along with billions of
instances of email and Internet software). I do not have a position on whether
address-literal syntax itself is needed, but I am a little skeptical that such
an email address fits a working engineering definition of “deliverable” using
the modern Internet & SMTP infrastructure.

Finally, while the email specs were quite careful to make a
lexical distinction between a domain and an address literal in a
mailbox name, USLs/URIs did not follow that lead and appear to
rely on heuristics or a subtle understanding of the strings
involved instead.  That is one of many cases in which an
identifier that looks more or less like an email address may not
actually be an email address and certainly doesn't imply
constraints on email addresses or email systems.  If you want to
discuss such identifiers, this is almost certainly not the right
list.

Yep, not talking about URIs here.

Regards,

Sean