Re: [ietf-smtp] Fwd: Request to form a new WG: JMAP

2016-11-07 11:59:17
Alexey,

These are just questions, not opposition, but the answers should
probably be clear in any charter or chartering effort.

(1) We've had a long history of variations on The Format to End
All Formats, none of which have lasted a very long time.  I
think JSON is better than most, but, if yet another wonderful
format shows up in a few years and takes over, is it worth
thinking now about what a transition plan would look like?

(2) Some of us believe, at least on some days, that a key reason
why SMTP, the message formats that started with RFC 822, POP3,
and IMAP have survived against a large number of proprietary and
other SDO alternatives have been precisely because they operate
in plain text, with all but IMAP using very simple
command-argument or name:value syntax.  Are we ready to give
that up?  Do we really need interoperability between a server
and a captive Webmail interface?  Arguably, standards of that
type are part of the province of the IETF only if someone is
contemplating generic webmail clients that can interact with the
servers of more than one organization.

(3) In terms of email models, this would presumably provides an
alternative to IMAP (or maybe POP3) on the mail receiving side.
Would it be equally sensible to define an IMAP extension that
would deliver responses (and maybe accept requests) in a
specified JSON format rather than the LISP-like IMAP one?  Seems
to me that would promote much more compatibility and flexibility.

(4) Similarly, there is lots of practice about use of IMAP to
send.  Is to time to make sure the standards for that
(presumably as an alternative to RFC 6409-style message
submission) and then provide a JSON format IMAP option to
support this form?

Again, just questions, but questions I think we need to ask
carefully before standardizing yet another alternative way to do
much the same thing.

    john

--On Monday, November 07, 2016 17:31 +0000 Alexey Melnikov