Re: [ietf-smtp] New version of E-mail Authentication for Internationalized Mail draft

2018-01-22 16:31:55
The interaction of this with downgrading as specified in RFC 6857 and RFC 6868 is ... interesting.

Anyway, I guesss I'm going to have to teach my downgrade code how to process
Authentication-Results fields one way or the other. Oh well.

I wouldn't try too hard. By the time a message is hitting POP or IMAP downgrades, I would think that anything that's going to use the A-R would already have done its thing, and anything you'll lose by eliding a mailbox local part isn't very important.

So this is a new case for the RFC 6857 approach. I guess we could opt for an encoded-word ;-)

I just spent a week in China trying to explain to people that there is no way to downgrade a UTF-8 local part so don't even try. The word "punycode" was frequently uttered and as frequently stomped on. Arrrrrrrrgggghhhhhh.

Regards,