Re: [ietf-smtp] SMTP Over TLS on Port 26 - Implicit TLS Proposal

2019-01-08 18:30:38
@Mark Andrews

First, When I mentioned "The former requires a HTTPS server and the latter
requires DNSSEC.", I didn't mean DNSSEC is HARD to implement. I meant
DNSSEC is CONTROVERSIAL

Read some of these articles.

https://sockpuppet.org/blog/2015/01/15/against-dnssec/
https://www.theregister.co.uk/2016/02/23/dnssec_more_problem_than_solution/

Second, unless top domains like Google, Facebook etc. start to use DNSSEC,
you are gonna see questions like this.

https://security.stackexchange.com/questions/21121/if-dnssec-is-so-useful-why-is-its-deployment-non-existent-for-top-domains

So if you wanna convince others to use DNSSEC, you should start with big
brothers like Google.

Third, Yes DNSSEC is HARD. Maybe not for you. [You seem like a person who
knows your stuff]

We are talking about mail servers here. Many of these users are non-tech
savvy users who depends on third-party mail hosting services like G-Suite.

As an engineer you can do those stuffs easily. But a doctor can't do that.
Just because he can't configure DNSSEC doesn't mean he don't deserve
security