Re: [ietf-smtp] SMTP Over TLS on Port 26 - Implicit TLS Proposal

2019-01-09 14:09:18

So that's not a good reason to do it: essentially we are doing a lot of new
work in order to accomplish something that we could already accomplish using
existing software and doing no new work.
Wouldn't the final scenario be better?

SMTPS on port 26 is realistically no better than STARTTLS on port 25. And STARTTLS on port 25 is already widely implemented, widely deployed and working. What would be the point of making things more complicated with no gain?

Without the downgrade protection you gain precisely nothing except added complexity. If you have a method to prevent encryption downgrade (we do) you may as well protect STARTTLS downgrade instead of 'port 26 -> 25 downgrade' and avoid the added complexity.

--

Paul Smith Computer Services
Tel: 01484 855800

Sign up for news & updates at http://www.pscs.co.uk/go/subscribe