Re: [ietf-smtp] SMTP Over TLS on Port 26 - Implicit TLS Proposal

2019-01-09 15:27:06
On Wed, 09 Jan 2019 12:37:29 -0800, "Carl S. Gutekunst" said:
On 01/09/2019 12:03 PM, Paul Smith wrote:
SMTPS on port 26 is realistically no better than STARTTLS on port 25.
And STARTTLS on port 25 is already widely implemented, widely deployed
and working. What would be the point of making things more complicated
with no gain?

Devil's advocate question: Do we (the community) care about improved
connection latency?

My intuition says that this proposal doesn't help improve latency, because
the hit you take waiting for a timeout on port 26 to a non-adopter server
is going to overwhelm any savings from the STARTTLS RTT not being
needed.

Has anybody checked what current MTAs do if they're configured to "Deliver mail
to this domain on TLS port nnn" but the listener on nnn isn't a TLS-first but
one that immediately responds with a 220?