Re: [ietf-smtp] [Proposal] confusing parts of the mail system, was 250-MARKDOWN

2019-01-09 16:06:14
I think the distinction isn't as strict as John puts it, though that
doesn't mean the proposal is correct either.

Today's MTAs often have to do a lot of message body handling for
spam/av/malware/phishing, especially if they want to be able to reject bad
messages at SMTP time to prevent backscatter.

I'd also point out that there are multiple SMTP extensions for negotiating
the format of the SMTP data (SMTPUTF8, 8BITMIME, BINARY), though those
typically apply to the full format of the data portion and not just
specific parts of it.

That said, late transformations or transformations in hops have been
offered in the past, and now interact poorly with the digital signatures
present in DKIM/ARC/SMIME, and so should be avoided.  Downgrading also
failed in UTF8SMTP, as another example.

Frankly, I don't see text/markdown replacing text/plain or text/html as the
primary message content any time soon, it doesn't really solve a problem
people have.  Obviously there should be a mime type for it, but most MUAs
provide a WYSIWYG interface based on HTML these days, and have for years,
they're not chomping at the bit to hand craft formatted responses.

Brandon

On Wed, Jan 9, 2019 at 6:56 AM Viruthagiri Thirumavalavan
<giri(_at_)dombox(_dot_)org>
wrote:

Ok Thanks John.

I'll take a look.