Re: [ietf-smtp] [Proposal] confusing parts of the mail system, was 250-MARKDOWN

2019-01-10 13:48:36
On Thu, 10 Jan 2019, John Bucy wrote:
Question is, is BINARYMIME doable?  Or a lost cause?

As I see it, the problem is a message getting stuck "in the middle" where
the next hop doesn't support the extension e.g. user has a .forward file.

For systems that have separate MUA and MTA, the MUA has no way to tell whether a downstream recipient will support BINARYMIME, and like you said, trying to recode on the fly causes more problems than it solves.

I see that Gmail has a 25M message size limit, which allows an 18M attached file encoded in base64. If you supported BINARYMIME so the attached files could be 24M, would anyone care?

Regards,