Re: [ietf-smtp] [Proposal] confusing parts of the mail system, was 250-MARKDOWN

2019-01-10 14:48:16
On Thu, 10 Jan 2019, John Bucy wrote:
For systems that have separate MUA and MTA, the MUA has no way to tell
whether a downstream recipient will support BINARYMIME

The MSA could call ahead/cut-through, doesn't exim do that? That might also
allow for the mua to throw an error ui at the user if they fat-fingered the
recipient rather than getting a bounce back later.

It is my impression that some do, but most don't. There isn't an SMTP error code for "downstream recipient doesn't accept BINARYMIME" so we'd be talking about a great deal of duct tape to make that work.

Rather than do that, I'd rather do different duct tape that stores the giant blob on an external server via soemthing like drive, box, or dropbox, and puts a message/external-body part into the message. See RFC 2017.

Regards,