Re: [ietf-smtp] [Proposal] confusing parts of the mail system, was 250-MARKDOWN

2019-01-11 15:00:31
On 10/01/2019 11.05, John Bucy wrote:

As I see it, the problem is a message getting stuck "in the middle"
where the next hop doesn't support the extension e.g. user has a
.forward file.

The most obvious options to me are:

Why not support BINARYMIME if the MTA is doing a local delivery for
that mailbox and it's local storage format can support it.

I think re-coding in the submission agent isn't too bad since very
often that's the step that does the DKIM signing, so no signature
breakage.

For any other situation, skip the BINARYMIME.

My second point: why not start with CHUNKING?  Absolutely no
compatibility problems with this necessary first step.