Re: [ietf-smtp] [Proposal] confusing parts of the mail system, was 250-MARKDOWN

2019-01-11 07:55:17
On Thu, Jan 10, 2019 at 04:49:23PM -0500,
valdis(_dot_)kletnieks(_at_)vt(_dot_)edu wrote:
On 10 Jan 2019 16:07:27 -0500, "John Levine" said:

The theory is that you submit the whole message to Google and it
probes the recipients before it accepts the message, but now you have
the added issue of how to report back that receipient A can handle it
but recipient B cannot.

That will teach me to reply before caffeine. ;)  I was discussing the MUA-MSA
interaction. And you'd think that somebody like me would know that stuff :)

You can receive a RCPT TO, and probe before returning a 250/550. You can cheat
a bit if you turn on PIPELINE, then you can accept up to the DATA, and do
probes in parallel with accepting the next RCPT before feeding back all the
2xx
Recipient OK and 5xx Won't Work replies.

Do we rename SMTP to MTP while at it ? :-)

--
Gilles Chehade                                                 @poolpOrg

https://www.poolp.org                 tip me: https://paypal.me/poolpOrg