Re: [ietf-smtp] external-body, was confusing parts of the mail system, was 250-MARKDOWN

2019-01-10 21:31:36
In article
<CALui8C2Yh_zym=ouVsEuM=VDo-HA9PvmDYRR7p6t3Fvqsdt30A(_at_)mail(_dot_)gmail(_dot_)com>,
John Bucy  <jbucy(_at_)google(_dot_)com> wrote:
I'd really rather the duct tape be applied to make external-body work
better.

Getting the blobs out of band may well be better for large messages. Even
if binary isn't the most compelling case for this, I would like to see a
better way to incrementally roll out new features that require end-to-end
support that is less prone to extended messages leaking out to everyone
else that isn't ready yet.

Well, you know, message/external-body with a pointer to a URL has been a standards track spec for over 22 years. I haven't checked lately to see what my MUAs do with it, but if they purport to support MIME, it should work.

Regards,
John Levine, johnl(_at_)iecc(_dot_)com, Primary Perpetrator of "The Internet for
Dummies",