Re: [ietf-smtp] [Proposal] confusing parts of the mail system, was 250-MARKDOWN

2019-01-10 14:07:41
On Thu, 10 Jan 2019 11:55:53 -0800, John Bucy said:

The MSA could call ahead/cut-through, doesn't exim do that? That might also
allow for the mua to throw an error ui at the user if they fat-fingered the
recipient rather than getting a bounce back later.

No.

Consider this reply.  I'm in Comcast cable territory, which means that I can
only do outbound port 25 to Comcast/Xfinity servers.  So my only realistic
way to get this mail out is to 587 it to Google's submission servers.

Now how do I "call ahead" for the cc: that's going to John Levine? There's
no way for me to contact mx1.taugh.com and ask "Hey, I'm about to hand
an email to Google, do you support BINARYMIME?"

And if I *did* make that connection, why should I not just *send the message*?

Hint: Find out what "direct to MX spam" is, and why Comcast blocks outbound
port 25.