Re: [ietf-smtp] [Proposal] confusing parts of the mail system, was 250-MARKDOWN

2019-01-10 13:05:31
On Thu, Jan 10, 2019 at 9:43 AM Gene Hightower
<gene(_at_)digilicious(_dot_)com> wrote:

On 10/01/2019 08.03, Ned Freed wrote:

On 09/01/2019 06.35, John Levine wrote:

My mail server doesn't support or understand any media types at all.
MIME and media types are all handled in the MUA.

I agree, except for BINARYMIME: the one MIME type advertised in the
greeting stage of ESMTP.

Binary is a content transfer encoding, not a media type.

Yes, correction: transfer encoding, not media type.

Let me try to restate my point using a few more words.

The area where MTA (the “mail server” from above) software needs to
announce support for a protocol feature to enable features at the
level of the message body is CHUNKING and BINARYMIME, RFC 3030.

If many of the leading figures in the email world can engage in a
lively discussion about a proposed MARKDOWN extension to SMTP, I
thought I'd try to raise some interest in BINARYMIME.