Re: [ietf-smtp] [Proposal] 250-MARKDOWN

2019-01-09 02:58:31
On Wed, Jan 09, 2019 at 02:12:39PM +0530, Viruthagiri Thirumavalavan wrote:
Please take a look here.
https://gist.github.com/mistergiri/603766f5295802d44cc1a5752ebfa21f#steps-need-to-be-taken

But it is a flawed proposal.

I read it, but the following doesn't make sense to me:

        Sender should transfer the mail in "text/markdown" if the receiver
support that format (250-MARKDOWN).
        Else they can go for multipart/alternative with "text/plain" and
"text/html" format as usual.

What's the original content type for the mail here ?

There are multiple ways to understand this depending on what is the type
of the mail to start with. In one case, it might imply that servers need
to convert text/* to text/markdown based on a peer extension, in another
it implies that a text/markdown content should be converted to plain and
html parts, etc...

In cases were no transforms are required in either way, then I don't see
how a session with or without MARKDOWN would differ.

That being said, and as mentioned in another mail, SMTP is for transport
and I think having content-related informations spill in the protocol is
a violation of layers.

On Wed, Jan 9, 2019 at 2:08 PM Gilles Chehade <gilles(_at_)poolp(_dot_)org>