Re: [ietf-smtp] SMTP Over TLS on Port 26 - Implicit TLS Proposal

2019-01-09 14:37:40
On 01/09/2019 12:03 PM, Paul Smith wrote:
SMTPS on port 26 is realistically no better than STARTTLS on port 25. And STARTTLS on port 25 is already widely implemented, widely deployed and working. What would be the point of making things more complicated with no gain?

Devil's advocate question: Do we (the community) care about improved connection latency?

My intuition is no; interest in all things SMTP RTT-related has ebbed and flowed over the years (pipelining, connection caches, etc.), but it never seemed like a big enough issue to be worth burning a port number. (On the Web, you've got companies spending millions to shave a few milliseconds off RTT, and the single RTT of TLS v1.3 is a Very Big Deal. But that's a completely different problem space.)

<csg>