Re: [ietf-smtp] SMTP Greylisting Retry Hints + PRDR

2019-02-07 16:20:43
Hello John,

the problem with bounces is, that they can lead to blacklisting the server,
that generated them.

What I drafted, which has nothing to do with grey listing, is not necessary
non-standard and avoids the problem with backscatters.  The “retry=” hint
mitigates the side effect of delayed arrival.

Strictly speaking the delivery for all recipients does not have to be delayed.
The server can deliver promptly the messages to all deserving recipients,
memorize the Message-Id and the per recipient response, and in subsequent
transactions communicate the status per recipient.  The only side effect is
then the “Mail not delivered within four hours” status message returned to the
sender.

The proposals with separate responses per recipient after data (PRDR) are stuck
in a sitation, where there is hardly any software capable on deciding on
rejection per recipient. (vicious circle)

Regards
  Дилян

On February 7, 2019 8:09:08 PM GMT+01:00, John Levine