Re: [ietf-smtp] SMTP Greylisting Retry Hints + PRDR

2019-02-07 13:09:23
In article <1BE49204-C741-4A2A-A3BD-1D70A0E6A876(_at_)aegee(_dot_)org> you
write:
imagine a mail with an empty Subject: for two recipients.  The first recipient
does not want to receive
emails without subject, the second recipient has no problem with this.

This issue, separate rejections after DATA, has come up many many
times before.  I've seen proposals to add new status codes after
the data with per-address reports, but they never went anywhere.

The only standard compliant way to accept some addresses and reject
others is to accept the message and send a bounce about the addresses
that didn't work.  Trying to do that with greylisting could never work
very well because you cannot reliably tell when a later message is the
same one you greylisted before.  In particular, they often come from
different IPs.

We realize that in the current cruddy mail environment it is fairly likely
that the bounce address is a fake and a bounce will go back to soemone
who didn't send the message, but that's another issue we've been looking
at without much progress.

R's,
John