Re: [ietf-smtp] SMTP Greylisting Retry Hints + PRDR

2019-02-06 15:48:43
Hello Hector,

irrespective of SMTP transaction, grey-listing and IPaddr-MAILfrom-RCPTto
triplet, describing more use cases for your
draft will increase its usefulness and more sites will implement it.

In any case, your draft shall state, if not included already, is that on

421|451 … retry=00:00:00

after RCPT TO: the client is supposed really soon to send another MAIL FROM:
followed by that RCPT.

Like this:

Abstract: … Retry-time=00:00:00 can be send by a server, to accept emails for
some recipients of an email, and reject it
for others.

Introduction/new subsection:
==Accepting the email for some recipients and rejecting it for others==
In order to avoid backscatters, or mitigate the effects of false positives, a
site can reject suspicious emails during
the SMTP dialog, depending on recipient’s preferences.  When an email to such a
site has several recipients in the
envelope and on the mail host these recipients have different policy for
rejecting emails, the site can accept the first
RCPT TO: for the first recipient and any other recipient, who shares the mail
rejection policy with the first recipient.
After the DATA-DOT the email for those recipients is accepted or rejected.  For
the other recipients, the site can
communicate to the sender, that it shall retry immediately with a new
transaction.

Amendment to section 2.3.4 RCTO TO:
For the purposes of applying different mail reject policies for the different
recipients, a server communicates to the
client to retry immediately a new transaction with the failed recipient.

Seciton 3 SMTP Service Keyword
I see no advantages for the 250-GREYLISTS EHLO reply, as with or without it
nothing changes.

Section 4 Examples:

I propose replacing serverdomain.com with servdom.example.com

add:

Example of a site, where the first and third recipients share the same
rejection policy, and all other recipients share
a different mail rejection policy:

S: a.example.com, welcome ESMTP v2.0
C: EHLO mail.example.org
S: 250-HELP
C: MAIL FROM:<jqpublic(_at_)mail(_dot_)example(_dot_)com>
S: 250 User OK
C: RCPT TO:<one(_at_)example(_dot_)com>
S: 250 OK
C: RCPT TO:<two(_at_)example(_dot_)com>
S: 451 This recipient has a different mail rejection policy than the first one.
 retry=00:00:00
C: RCPT TO:<three(_at_)example(_dot_)com>
S: 250 OK
C: RCPT TO:<four(_at_)example(_dot_)com>
S: 451 This recipient has a different mail rejecton policy than the first one.
retry=00:00:00
C: RCPT TO:<five(_at_)example(_dot_)com>
S: 451 This recipient has a different mail rejecton policy than the first one.
retry=00:00:01
C: QUIT
S: 221 Goodbye

Note, by using a different retry for the last recipient, the server hints to
retry two(_at_)example(_dot_)com and four(_at_)example(_dot_)com
in a new transaction, and five(_at_)example(_dot_)com in another transaction.
The server can do so in order to signal, that
two(_at_)example(_dot_)com and four(_at_)example(_dot_)com have a separate,
common mail-rejection policy, while five(_at_)example(_dot_)com has again
another mail rejection policy.

Another point to consider, even if you did a … response per RCPT TO …,  I am
not sure how clients will deal with
this.  Will they retry the 4yz responses and skip the 250 and 5yz responses?

This is what I and clients do now.

Regards
  Дилян