Re: [ietf-smtp] Dombox - A Zero Spam Mail System

2019-09-25 06:49:10

MX /receive/ mail, mailout hosts may differ and, in large sites, they
typically do.

Yes, I agree with that. We actually fetch third party MX host SPF record as
well.

I have illustrated that in this image.

https://miro.medium.com/max/684/1*PKHfrnCDFy8-kvaUDY83_Q.png

Also this is how we deal with incoming human-to-human mails when the sender
is an "Unverified Stranger".

mail.example.com Connecting to mail.domboxmail.com with its IP address
domboxmail.com => 220 mail.domboxmail.com Dombox SMTP Service Ready
example.com => HELO mail.example.com
domboxmail.com => 250 Hello, nice to meet you, mail.example.com
example.com => MAIL FROM: <john(_at_)example(_dot_)com>
domboxmail.com => 250 OK
example.com => RCPT TO: <user1(_at_)domboxmail(_dot_)com>
domboxmail.com => 250 OK
example.com => RCPT TO: <user2(_at_)domboxmail(_dot_)com>
domboxmail.com =>

*550 Restricted Box. Unauthorized and UnverifiedSender. Please configure
SPF or Send this mail from one of your MXserver IP address*
example.com => RCPT TO: <user3(_at_)domboxmail(_dot_)com>
domboxmail.com => 250 OK
example.com => RCPT TO: <user4(_at_)domboxmail(_dot_)com>
domboxmail.com =>

*550 Restricted Box. Unauthorized and UnverifiedSender. Please configure
SPF or Send this mail from one of your MXserver IP address*
example.com => RCPT TO: <user5(_at_)domboxmail(_dot_)com>
domboxmail.com => 250 OK
example.com => DATA
domboxmail.com => 354 End data with <CRLF>.<CRLF>
{Message Part goes here}
domboxmail.com => 250 OK, message accepted for delivery: queued as 12345
example.com => QUIT
domboxmail.com => 221 Bye

As I mentioned earlier, my system is designed in a way to deal with spam
mails without wasting bandwidth. So all validation mechanism happens before
the DATA command.

On Wed, Sep 25, 2019 at 4:55 PM Alessandro Vesely <vesely(_at_)tana(_dot_)it>