Re: [ietf-smtp] Dombox - A Zero Spam Mail System

2019-09-27 19:02:30
On Fri, 27 Sep 2019 15:37:19 -0700, David MacQuigg said:

I view the Mailstore as part of the MDA, whether it is actually disks
inside the MDA, or somewhere out in the cloud.  Maybe leaving out the label
"Mailstore" will make the diagram more clear.  I don't see any scenario in
which we need to treat them as separate Agents.  The essential
simplification is that the Recipient can view them as one Mailstore and
Delivery Agent.

That simplification is OK if you want the reader to understand the view as seen
from a Recipient.

However, if you're actually designing a Mailstore or Delivery Agent
that has to scale to large sizes, you're *really* going to want to have the
distinction
clear in your mind.

True story:  My recent employer had a need to set up ITAR-compliant email for
researchers - and one of the requirements is that the data has to reside in
servers
on US soil.  This was a problem for GMail, because we couldn't get Google to
guarantee
that if one of our researchers was in Europe and Google's location service
learned about
it, that it would *not* pre-stage the data in the GMail mailbox to European
servers for
faster access if/when the researcher checked their mail.

So in that case, the delivery agent that drops the *first* copy into the
mailstore is *very*
different from the mailstore itself which is doing replication and moving from
continent to
continent.

We ended up standing up an Exchange server and some NAS storage in a locked room
with more access controls than the rest of our server room.