Re: [ietf-smtp] A Zero Spam Mail System - What works?

2019-09-29 10:57:53
On Sunday 29 September 2019 14:56:00 CEST, David MacQuigg wrote:
I have been using gmail for the last few years. No connection other than as a client. Spam in my inbox is maybe one in 200. I have noticed one or two lost emails in the last year. Before that I was not aware of any. Note: I don't count as spam any that appear on a separate tab labeled "Promotions". I don't count as "lost" any that appear in my spam bucket. How do they do it? I guess they have a very complete whitelist of senders. They also have an icon "Report spam" at they top of their webpage, which I assume is their main source of rapid feedback.

Gmail uses an omnivore ML, so no whitelist. Rather, each sender has a database entry, much more complex than just "white" or "black". So "your order has been shipped" from example.com may be treated differently from "here are the new seasons's styles, just for you!!!" from the same sender, because gmail has inferred from its users's clicks that the two classes of messages are different in spamminess.

The previous paragraph is about 90% hearsay.

Arnt