Re: [ietf-smtp] Dombox - A Zero Spam Mail System

2019-09-27 18:45:48
On Fri, Sep 27, 2019 at 3:50 PM Dave Crocker <dhc(_at_)dcrocker(_dot_)net>
wrote:

On 9/27/2019 3:37 PM, David MacQuigg wrote:
    First, citing Browser as an alternative to Client is a
misunderstanding
    of the role of a browser in email.  I understand the tendency to
claim
    that 'web mail' is somehow distinct, but really it isn't.  It is
merely
    a particular approach to the implementation of an MUA, splitting its
    functionality between a server and code /inside/ the browser.

Good observation.  I'm not clear how to clarify the diagram, however.
What it is intended to show is that the Recipient can retrieve his email
either through a browser or through some other client software, and the

The browser is merely one of those 'other' client software.  the diagram
gives it special status.  it's fine to want to show alternatives, but
they should be equal.

Which alternatives would you show in this introductory basic diagram?
Should we include the protocols (POP, IMAP, HTTP)?

Can you create a diagram equivalent to Fig. 1, using only the entities
and terminology in RFC 5598?

No doubt one could.

I can't.  The problem is that every block is just an ADMD, with no
distinction between one and another, no clues to support a discussion of
their different roles and responsibilities, etc.

Imagine you are trying to teach the fundamentals of email systems to
university students in a class on computer networks.  Most are not going to
become email system admins.  Most will be overwhelmed by the level of
detail in Fig. 5 of RFC 5598.  You have one lecture to give these students
a basic understanding of how email systems work.  How would you do it?