Re: [ietf-smtp] Dombox - A Zero Spam Mail System

2019-09-27 09:15:55
On 9/27/2019 1:43 AM, David MacQuigg wrote:
I remember learning about email systems, primarily from RFC 5598.  I found Section 2 frustrating and had to give up and develop my own model at the administrative level.  I have found this model very useful in teaching and in developing my own email system, box67.com <http://box67.com/>.

1. If you only found that one section frustrating, you are doing better than most others, including me.(*)

2. The thing about RFC 5598 is that it was developed in a consensus process. So whatever its faults, it represents a meaningful degree of community compromise. For this topic, no other equivalent document can say that.

3. Pursuing discussion of improvements to RFC 5598 would be entirely reasonable.

4. (This adapts from my original note) Using language that has no shared understanding prevents communication. If one wants to make a point with other folks, one needs to use language that is well understood by the target audience.

5. Your text, quoted above, cites an alternative bit of work, but does not provide a citation to it. Instead there is a generic citation to work that 'uses' it, apparently. Following that link produces a page that starts with "Much of what is described in these pages is not yet implemented." So to the extent you meant to give us something superior or even useful, that isn't the way to do it.

d/

(*) Computer networking got real in the 1970s. Lots of buzz in the technical community, well-motivated by the public demonstration of the Arpanet (but also by other work.) I got involved in 1972, as a college dropout, knowing nothing about the work or much of anything about computer science. I noted that when people from different teams met, the first half of the conversation would define terms and the second half would use them. The OSI 7-layer model was issued in the mid 1970s and it changed things profoundly. When people from different teams met, they would spend the first half of the conversation criticizing the OSI model. They would use the second half of the conversation using it.

--
Dave Crocker
Brandenburg InternetWorking