Re: [ietf-smtp] spam reporting and prevention

2019-09-28 21:01:09
In article
<09185cd1-18e1-4079-a4cc-0038654652cd(_at_)gulbrandsen(_dot_)priv(_dot_)no> you
write:
I don't think Sendgrid knows that it's spamming me for a get-rich-quick
scheme or Tinyurl that the same spammer uses it for his landing pages, I
don't think Rapidswitch (a small rent-a-server place) knows that a customer
is trying to swindle me (latest iphone 3€!!!).

Comparing the amount of spam I get from Sendgrid and from Mailchimp,
I'm reasonably sure that if the former put as much effort into
managing its outgoing mail stream as the latter does, we'd see equally
little spam from them.  There are similar differences among URL
shorteners and hosting providers which lead me to similar conclusions.
(My VPS are hosted at a place called Tektonic which you've probably
never heard of because their outgoing spam filters work very well.)

Spam reporting actually works pretty well, but by the time a largish
sender gets a report back, the spam run is probably over.  Reactive
approaches are fine for checking how well your tools work and tuning
them but it's not an effective way to keep the stuff from going out.

R's,
John