Re: [ietf-smtp] Dombox - A Zero Spam Mail System

2019-09-27 04:09:10

On 27 Sep 2019, at 01:39, Keith Moore <moore(_at_)network-heretics(_dot_)com>
wrote:

On 9/26/19 8:25 PM, Dave Crocker wrote:
I tend to phrase it as "We're not going to get rid of e-mail spam until
the solution involves a horse, a rope, and a high branch...."

That is overly optimistic.  After all, we've demonstrated that it doesn't
stop other crimes, so why would it work here?
Deterrence works better for some kinds of crimes than others.   When the
criminal is motivated by financial gain, deterrence can work better than if
the criminal is motivated by passion or ideology.
(But of course you're right that it's overly optimistic.   Clearly we need a
lot more than one horse, one rope, and one tree...)

Seriously, for deterrence to produce a significant reduction in spam,
punishment for spamming is going to have to become a lot more certain than it
is now.   Until it becomes normal for spammers to be prosecuted, and to pay
significant fines for first or relatively minor offenses, and serve prison
terms for repeat offenses, we're going to keep seeing it.

And that has worked so well for other non-violent crimes like … speeding and
drug possession.

Good luck with that.

laura

--
Having an Email Crisis?  We can help! 800 823-9674

Laura Atkins
Word to the Wise
laura(_at_)wordtothewise(_dot_)com
(650) 437-0741