Re: [ietf-smtp] Dombox - A Zero Spam Mail System

2019-09-26 02:31:47
On Wed, Sep 25, 2019 at 7:57 PM Dave Crocker <dhc(_at_)dcrocker(_dot_)net>
wrote:

On 9/25/2019 7:48 PM, Viruthagiri Thirumavalavan wrote:
I posted my work here to gain some credibility. My apologies if my post
made you guys uncomfortable in any way.

The only discomfort is with having to repeat basic, educational material
for an approach that has been tested and reviewed long ago.  There's
quite a bit of documentation about prior efforts, and it's nicely
summarized in:

     http://craphound.com/spamsolutions.txt

What you might not be aware of is that one form or another of proposal
for ending spam is produced very few years, for the last 30 years.  None
has proved viable.  That's what makes the summary checklist legitimate.

The larger concern you might consider is your own resistance to feedback
that is entirely consistent, from a range of highly experienced subject
matter experts.

The big problem I see with new solutions to the spam problem is - there is
no longer a problem.  Most of the big email services are doing such a good
job of filtering the spam that there is really no incentive to deploy a
whole new system.  I first got interested in this topic in 2003, when spam
was threatening to obliterate email.  I came up with what I thought was an
obvious solution, ran into a solid wall of group-think, and decided to put
it together myself (box67.com).  I ran that service for a few years for
friends and family, and it was very effective - hardly any spam, no lost
emails, and very little effort at maintaining a transmitter reputation
list.  I also had a gmail address, and found myself using that instead of
my box67 address.  At one point, I seriously considered hiring staff to set
up a real email service with customer support and all the necessary
administrative overhead.  box67 is still running, if anyone is interested
in taking over.  I have not updated the reputation database in 15 years, so
the mail flow is now near 100% spam.