Re: [ietf-smtp] Dombox - A Zero Spam Mail System

2019-09-25 22:32:33
Hi Dave,

I can clearly see many of these folks trying to help me. I'm not trying to
neglect their comments in any way. I think my response brings such tone.
My intention of explaining those parts is that "I have thought about that
part". Nothing more. And because most of you folks don't have enough time
to go through my 300 page paper, I'm just hoping explaining some parts
would be helpful.

For example, you have linked to this material
<https://craphound.com/spamsolutions.txt>. I could either pretend that I
don't know anything about that material or I could say I'm aware of that
material. If I go with the latter, then that's gonna look like I'm acting
like I know everything and dismissing your opinion. But that's definitely
not my intention. Page 66 of my paper says "A system would fail when it
expects immediate total cooperation from everybody at once.". That part is
actually coming from this original slashdot post
<https://slashdot.org/comments.pl?sid=98024&cid=8373855>. I did enough
research and understood the problem before designing my system.

Most of you in this mailing list are far more experienced and knowledgeable
than I am. I'm totally grateful for your feedback. But as I said earlier,
email spam solutions are very controversial subject.  Just because people
failed in the past 30 years doesn't mean all new solutions have no merits.
Failure is a stepping-stone and it ought to be encouraged. People shouldn’t
be ashamed of their failures and they shouldn’t be afraid to present a
failed solution. Learning from failures is what makes us human. When
someone points out to a particular tree and say “Hey, don’t eat the fruit
from that tree. It’s poisonous”, they are actually saying someone or
something died by eating that fruit. If you traceback to the origin,
there’s always a “subject zero” who gave his/her/its life to give birth to
such a discovery. This discovery is a meaningful “data point” for mankind's
survival. An archive of many such failures is what’s converted into “common
sense”. Without those data points, the average human lifespan will be very
short. So meaningful failures are essential for new discoveries.

My white paper is a result of plenty of "data points" I gathered from other
people failures. Just because I don't have experience with large scale mail
systems, doesn't mean I don't have enough IQ to put together pieces from
other people failures. When I present my solution here, there is higher
possibility it could become an utter failure. But ideas begets ideas. I'm
sure people who cite my work in the future may bring different
perspectives. So my intention here is to bring some exposure to my work. My
apologies if I offended anyone here.

On Thu, Sep 26, 2019 at 8:26 AM Dave Crocker <dhc(_at_)dcrocker(_dot_)net>